Sunday, December 28, 2008

Belgian Endives from the oven (witlof uit de oven)


Description:
This is actually my mum's recipe, the way I remember it - and this is my favourite way to eat this vegetable.
It's not very common on this side of the world, but I managed to find it in Cold Storage!
(wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_endive )


Ingredients:
3 - 4 Belgian Endives
sliced ham (I used smoked ham and as the slices were quite small I had 6 slices)
soft grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
a bit of butter to coat the oven dish

Directions:
Clean the vegetable and take out the hard kernel at the stem. Use a small kitchen knife and cut out a cone shape from the stem, leaving the vegetable in one piece, make sure it's not falling apart.

Boil the vegetables till they get soft and turn colour (they are white originally and after boiling they become grayish green).

Drain them well and let them cool down.

Prepare an oven dish that is large enough to keep the vegetables next to each other. Coat the bottom and sides with butter, so that the vegetables won't stick to the dish. If you like you can sprinkle breadcrumbs over it as well.

Wrap the endives in the ham and place them nicely in the oven dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.

I cut the endives into 2 pieces each, so that it would be easier to serve it later, but this is up to you, you can leave them whole as well.

Put in the oven at about 180 C degrees for 10 - 15 minutes to bake it off and serve as a side dish.

[photo courtesy of Upali Kohomban]

No comments:

Post a Comment